|120 S. W. 1st Street Anadarko, OK 73005
|December 10, 1990
The historic Anadarko post office building and Kiowa Indian Agency building was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses New Deal artwork, was completed in 1936 and is still in use today.
The United States Post Office and Kiowa Indian Agency, constructed in 1935-1936, is an outstanding example of the Classical Revival style with Moderne influences favored by the federal government for many of its civic projects. The Treasury Department’s supervising architect for this project was Louis A. Simon. The three-story building is symmetrically arranged in a rectangular plan. Constructed of steel frame on a concrete foundation, the walls are veneered with a yellow brick and white Carthage stone. Rectangular casement windows rise up in vertical bands, emphasizing the building’s height. These bands are broken between the first and second stories by large stone spandrels and frieze at the top of the second story. The frieze is embellished with a string of discs, and the entries are enhanced with decorative stone spandrels. The building is crowned by a stone coping at the top of the parapet wall. The significant interior features sixteen murals by Native American Artist Steve Mopope, who worked with the assistance of Spencer Asah and James Auchiah. All three were members of the Kiowa Five. These murals were commissioned by the Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture and were completed in 1937.
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
- National Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service:
Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 71.
- U.S. Post Office and Kiowa Indian Agency – Anadarko, OK – WPA Projects on Waymarking.com
- National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form.