Albany School Campus (Two Bldgs) – Albany

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Albany, Oklahoma 040, Bryan County 013; Sec. 9, T 8 S, R 11 E County:  Bryan
Started:   Completed:  1937-1939

Current Usage:

Description:

The Albany school campus is composed of two buildings: an eight-room classroom and a gymnasium/auditorium with an attached home economic facility. The classroom building is a single, rectangular 042′ x 57′) structure constructed of poured concrete. The roof, now covered with sheet metal, is hipped; double and single window openings are alternately placed; the entry way is composed of a porch with hipped roof and recessed doors. The surface of the latter is incised.
The gym and auditorium, situated some 100 feet west of the classroom building, is a single story, rectangular (ca. 65′ x 96′) structure constructed with a wood frame and clapboard siding. The roof is arched with catslides on either side. The front door is entered through an enclosed porch with gable roof. To the south rear of this building is attached a single story, rectangular (24′ x 52′) structure with a gable roof constructed of material identical with that used on the gym. It housed the home economic department.
The Albany campus buildings are significant because construction of them created an entirely new educational environment, having replaced a rotted wood frame structure, and promoted an enthusiasm for learning seldom seen previously in the system. They also provided work opportunities for unskilled and unemployed laborers in Albany who had long been on relief and were fast losing hope in the the American promise. As rural WPA school buildings, they are remarkable for their scale and construction materials–poured concrete and wood. To the community they were unique architecturally because of their type, style, scale, materials and workmanship.

VERBAL BO UN DARY DESCRIPTION: Situated on the east edge of Albany, the school property begins where Sec. 9 line crosses the alley east of townsite of Albany and runs east 140 yards, south 140 yards, west 140 yards, and north 140 yards, in Sec. 9, T 8 S, R 11 E. 

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Bryan County – Albany School

Photos: