|Address:||N. Brookside Ave & E Shawnee, Tahlequah, Oklahoma 74464||County||Cherokee|
“Located in Tahlequah City Park, on the southeast corner of N. Brookside Avenue and E. Shawnee Street, this Hut is also known as the Rhodes Pritchett American Legion Post 50 and is currently active. It is a rectangular building constructed of native sandstone in a typical WPA Standardized style. The building has a native stone foundation, with a covered porch entrance under a side facing gable. The roof is slightly pitched and covered with shingles.
“The porch front opening, as well as each of the paired window units has a soldier-stone header with a large keystone. The windows are one-over-one wood-framed with stone sills. In the late 1960’s, a concrete block addition was added to the rear of the building, and the windows on the south side, and one on the west side were boarded up with modifications to the interior kitchen and restrooms.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Living New Deal – https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/american-legion-hut-tahlequah-ok/
- National Register of Historic Places – https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=4c2f3cec-8201-44d6-a665-be283ce5c9d2
- Waymarking.com – http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQED1_American_Legion_Hut_Tahlequah_OK
- National Register of Historic Places Support Document
- National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form