Baron School – Stilwell (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Stilwell, Oklahoma 040, Adair County 001; SW 1/4, Sec. 26, T 17 N, R 25 E  County  Adair
Started:   Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:

This two room, rectangular shaped ( 45 x 7 5 ) building is constructed from uncut and uncoursed native stone with beaded mortar. The hipped roof with projecting eaves forms a center gable. Front and side entryways are recessed behind cut stone arches with keystones. Two bands of double-hung, metal sash windows are located on both the front and the rear of the building. The windows have concrete sills and concrete lintels which reach to the roofline; a singly placed sash window rests on the rear of the structure. The building is fronted by a 249′ rock wall A concrete addition has been built onto the structure but it has not destroyed the integrity of the building.
The Baron school constituted a remarkable community resource in that the wages earned by the laborers were infused back into the local community stimulating the economy. Its construction provided jobs for local residents stricken by the economic depression and helped to preserve a sense of pride in the community. Architecturally the building is significant in terms of its fine workmanship.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go approximately 5 miles north of Stilwell on U.S. highway 59 to a point 416 feet east and 416 feet south of the northwest corner of the SW 1/4, Sec. 26, T 17 N, R 25 E, and go east 208 feet, south 208 feet, west 208 feet, and north 208 feet.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Adair County – Baron School

Photos: