Boudinot School – Tahlequah (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Tahlequah, Oklahoma 040, Cherokee County 021; NW 1/4, Sec. 36, T 17 N, R 22 E  County  Cherokee
Started:  1936 Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:

The old Boudinot school is rectangular shaped (37′ x 22′) and constructed of randomly laid, uncut native stone. The mortar is beaded. It has a new roof which is hipped with a center gable which extends to form a porch supported by wooden columns. The two single door entryway is recessed. Reaching to the eaves on the rear, the sash windows are singly placed and grouped into bands; all have concrete sills.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided wages for local families which were infused back into the depressed local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of the school restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families. Wages spent in the local community helped to preserve mainstreet. The school served for many years as an educational facility for children of the community. It is representative of WPA constructions in that the quality of workmanship is excellent.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go approximately 3 miles east of Tahlequah and oneĀ­half mile south to the school site; from the northeast corner of the NW 1/4 of Sec. 36, T 17 N, R 22 E, go 208 feet west to a point of beginning, then south 208 feet, west 208 feet, north 208 feet, and east 208 feet.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Cherokee County – Boudinot School

Photos: