Caddo Community Building – Caddo

<— Back to Research

Address:  East Buffalo Street, Caddo, Oklahoma 040, Bryan County 013 County:  Bryan
Started:   Completed: 1936

Current Usage:

Description:

A multi-purpose facility, the Caddo Community Building is a single story, essentially rectangular (58′ x 71 ‘) structure with offsets constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone. The roof is composed of intersecting gables with valleys, while the wood sash windows are placed by twos. The sills and lintels of the window openings are of preformed concrete. The front entry is covered by an extension of the roof. A ramp for the handicapped does not impeach the architectural integrity of the building.
The Caddo Community Building is the only structure to provide multi-purpose space to town residents, a function it has performed since the depression. Today it serves primarily as a senior citizen center. Architecturally it is significant within the community because of its type, WPA style, materials and character of workmanship. Construction of it, moreover, provided jobs for unskilled workers whose only other alternative was starvation.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Lot 5 and east 1/2 of lot 6, Block 24, Caddo City original

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Bryan County – Caddo Community Building

Photos: