Cherry Grove School – Quapaw (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address: Vicinity of Quapaw, Oklahoma County Ottawa
Started   Completed 1936

Current Usage:

Description:

This one-room, rectangular (23′ x 45′) structure is made of uncut native stone. The gabled roof with projecting eaves is new. The front entryway has an awning and steps with wing walls. The metal, double-hung sash windows are placed in triples and have concrete sills; most of the panes have been painted brown. An addition to the east side of the structure has destroyed the integrity of the building.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided wages to local families which were infused back into the local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of the building restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families. The school served for many years as an educational facility for children of the community.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go 7.5 miles east of Quapaw on an unpaved county road, then .7 miles north to a point of beginning in the NW corner of the NW 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 in Sec. 30, T 29 N, R 25 E. Thence east 6 rods, thence south 13 1/4 rods, thence west 6 rods, thence north 13 1/4 rods to place of beginning

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
  2. The Living New Deal

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Ottawa County – Cherry Grove School

Photos: