The Woodward Elmwood Cemetery entrance and fence is an L-shaped fence (1221′ x 3′, 371′ x 3′) constructed of uncut native stone and an iron grated archway entrance. The wall rises from about two feet high to five feet high near the main entrance on the west side and near the secondary entrance at the northeast corner of the fence. The stone wall has a random rubble masonry pattern with jagged rock battlement parapets and turrets. The fence and entrance retain their architectural integrity.
Construction of the Woodward Elmwood Cemetery entrance and fence created desperately-needed employment for jobless workers of this agricultural and railroad community during the Depression. Additionally, the project provided a much-needed civic improvement to the community. As a WPA project, the entrance and fence are significant as examples of the cemetery improvements aspect of the WPA program. The structures are notable architecturally for their type, scale, style, workmanship, and construction materials.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: On the southwestern edge of Woodward, Elmwood Cemetery is located in the NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 2, T 22 N, R 21 W.
n 1937 the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed construction of this three foot high L-shaped granite rock wall that runs for hundreds of miles along the north and east sides of the Elmwood Cemetery in Woodward, Oklahoma.
The Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey notes that construction of the Elmwood Cemetery entrance and fence “…created desperately-needed employment for jobless workers of this agricultural and railroad community during the Depression. Additionally, the project provided a much needed civic improvement to the community…” Finally, the Survey remarks that the architectural style of the wall is significant for its type, scale, workmanship as well as its construction materials.
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
- The Living New Deal – https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/elmwood-cemetery-wall-woodward-ok/