Fields Chapel School – Vian (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Vian, Oklahoma 040, Sequoyah County 135; SE 1/4 Sec. 3, T 12 N, R 23 E  County:  Sequoyah
Started:   Completed:  1942

Current Usage:

Description:

The old Fields Chapel School is an essentially rectangular ( 70′ x 37′) two room structure constructed from uncut native stone laid in a cobweb pattern. It has a hipped roof with a pedimented center gable over a recessed front entry. Double hung wood sash windows with cut stone sills in front and wood sills in the rear have a continous stone lintel with a keystone pattern which sets it apart from the masonry on the building’s facade.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided wages for local families paid for some 19,000 man-hours of labor which were infused back into the depressed local economy helping to soften the impact of the depression on rural mainstreets. Jobs generated by the construction of the school enabled men to provide for their own families and restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to feed their families. The school served for many years as an educational facility for children of the community, inaugurating a modern curriculum and encouraging a sense of academic excellence.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go seven miles northeast of Vian to the southwest corner of the SE 1/4 of Sec. 3, T 12 N, R 23 E, and go 208 feet north, 416 feet east, 208 feet south, and 416 feet west.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Sequoyah County – Fields Chapel School

Photos: