<— Back to Research

Address:  Broadway and Sixth Streets, Fairview, Oklahoma 040, Major County 093  Country  Major
Started:   Completed  1941

Current Usage

Description:

The Fairview Fire Station is a two-story, rectangular (69′ x 45′) building constructed of poured concrete. It has a flat roof with parapets. Pilasters that extend above the roof line and a brick frieze on the west and north sides of the structure provide decorative relief. Three garage doorways are on the west. Second level windows are metal encased and are in single and double arrangements. Unfortunately, the first level window openings have been filled with buff colored bricks, an alteration that impeaches the architectural integrity of the original structure.
The Fairview Fire Station is significant because of its art deco architectural style and because construction of it provided job opportunities for agricultural workers who had been made destitute by the depression and drought conditions on the plains. It is also a symbol of a national government committed to the preservation of a people instead of an economic system that was based upon self-help. The station has also provided important community services, fire protection, for almost one-half of a century.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From the intersection of 6th and Broadway streets, go south to the alley on the west side of 6th Street to a point of beginning, and then go 85 feet east, 50 feet north, 85 feet west, and 50 feet south.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Major County – Fairview Fire Station

Photos: