Hanna School – Hanna

<— Back to Research

Address:  Unmarked Streets, Hanna, Oklahoma 040, McIntosh County 091; SW 1/4, Sec. 36, T 9 N, R 13 E  County  McIntosh
Started:   Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:


This school of twelve to fourteen rooms is a single-story, rectangular (200′ x 60′) structure constructed of uncut native stone in buff and auburn colors with beaded masonry in a random rubble. The roof is flat with parapets. The front doors are recessed behind square entryways outlined in concrete. The windows on the front have continuous lentils and sills. All the sashed window openings have been filled with partial wood inserts and smaller, more energy-efficient windows installed. The alterations do not impeach the integrity of the school.
This school is notable in terms of workmanship, type, style, materials, and especially scale. Few structures in Hanna can compare to it in scale. The strategic placement of the colorful stones gives the school its own distinctive design. Construction of the school meant jobs for unskilled and unemployed workers on relief, giving them an income that prevented starvation. The WPA infused wages of some 108,120 man-hours of labor into the local economy and helped to support main street. It also created a new environment conducive to learning for children in and around Hanna.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Situated in the NW 1/4 of Hanna, the nominated property begins at the northwest corner of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of Sec. 36, T 9 N, R 13 E, and goes south 416 feet, east 208 feet, north 416 feet, and west 208 feet.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
  2. The Living New Deal

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties McIntosh County – Hanna School

Photos: