Hickory Grove School Gym & Auditorium – Grove (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Grove, Oklahoma 040, Delaware County 041; SW 1/4, Sec. 11, T 25 N, R 23 E  County  Delaware
Started:   Completed  1939

Current Usage

Description:

This rectangular shaped building measures 52′ x 73′ and is constructed of randomly laid, uncut native stone with a porous texture It has a gabled roof with wood siding. The 9 /9 wood sash windows on the south are grouped in triples which reach to the eaves and have concrete sills. On the north rear the windows are singly placed and have arched lintels and pre-formed concrete sills. Single door entries with stoops are located on the ends of the building. A remarkable stone fence along the front of the property is another legacy of the WPA.
This structure is especially notable for its coarse masonry which gives the building a rustic look. Economically the construction of this building provided wages to destitute farmers stricken by the depression. These wages were spent locally helping to stimulate business and the depressed economy. Over the years the structure has promoted pride within the local community and provided facilities for the education of local children.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go 5 miles north of Grove on U.S. highway 59, then east 1 mile on paved county road to a strip of land one rod wide and 420 feet long lying one rod wide north to south and 420 feet long east and west in the SW 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4, Sec. 11, T 25 N, R 23 E

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination – http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=66871&pbc=P

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Delaware County – Hickory Grove School & Gym

Photos: