|Address:||262 Holy City Road Cache, OK 73527||County:||Comanche|
The facility in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge was constructed with the support of $94,000 from the New Deal administration funding. The Works Progress Administration hired 150 craftsmen to construct the structures of wood. They were later faced with concrete and native stone to resemble Jerusalem buildings. The site has hosted an annual passion play since 1926, although the large crowds traveling to see the play prompted the building of a permanent facility in 1934-35. It opened in 1936.
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
- Lowry, J. V. (2009). Images of America: Holy City of the Wichitas. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
- O’Dell, L. (n.d.) Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture. Oklahoma Historical Society. Retrieved from http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/h/ho018.html.