|Address:||Vicinity of Muldrow, Oklahoma||County:||Sequoyah|
The old Johnson school is a rectangular shaped (36′ x 24′) structure constructed of uncoursed native stone. The gable roof has dentils. The single door entry has a hood supported by brackets and a stoop. The original wooden sash windows in front have been covered with woods insets to form smaller windows with stone sills. A set of twin dormer windows rest on the rear of the building. Unfortunately a large addition to the rear of the structure has destroyed the integrity of the structure and disqualifies it for inclusion to the National Register.
The construction of this facility provided jobs for local men suffering from the depression. Economically the wages paid for the construction were infused back into the community easing the burden of a limited money supply. The structure is unigue for its rather crude construction, testimony to the use of unskilled labor.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From the SE corner of the NW 1/4 of Sec. 8, T 12 N, R 27 E, go west 1040 feet and north 832 feet to a point of beginning, then west 208 feet, north 208 feet, east 208 feet, and south 208 feet.
Coordinates: 35.53077 -94.47296