Katie School – Katie

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Elmore City, Oklahoma 040, Garvin County 049; SE 1/4, Sec. 1, T 1 N, R2 W  County:  Garvin
Started:   Completed:  1940

Current Usage:

Description:

A single story, four class building, the old Katie school is rectangular (75′ x 46′) and constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone. The roof is hipped, with a small intersecting gable that extends above the front entry. Doors on the front and sides are recessed behind archways. Window openings, with cut stone sills, rise to the eaves and are presently filled with wood inserts, which on the rear encompass smaller aluminum sash windows. The inserts and a small concrete block addition on the rear have not impaired the architectural integrity of the building.
Within the rural community of Katie, the school building is architecturally significant in terms of type, style, materials and nature of workmanship. Equally important is that the structure introduced modern education into the region, facilitating the educational process. Also significant is that construction of the building provided job opportunities for destitute workers long on the relief rolls of the state, enabling them to secure a measure of economic security for themselves and their families.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Situated two and one-half miles east and three miles south of Elmore City on paved county roads, the old school property begins at the SE corner of Sec. 1, T 1 N, R 2 W, and goes north 352.72 feet, west 200 feet, south 352.72 feet and east 200 feet to the point of beginning.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Garvin County – Katie School

Photos: