Mohawk Golf Course and Park – Tulsa

<— Back to Research

Address:  North Yale and 45th Streets, Tulsa, Oklahoma 040, Tulsa County 143 County:  Tulsa
Started:   Completed:  1937

Current Usage:

Description:

An eighteen hole course, the Mohawk Golf course is situated amidst rolling hills and native trees and lies adjacent to a tributary of Bird Creek. Constructed of coursed rubble native sandstone, toilets and picnic pavillions are stragetically located along the course and in Mohawk Park. Some of these are still in use, although none are well maintained. The club house for the course, built by the WPA, has been destroyed and replaced with a more modern facility.
The significance of the Mohawk Golf Course is that it was only one of two constructed by the WPA in Oklahoma (the other at Idabel). Also the toilets and pavillions have a distinct “park” style of architecture, the type generally utilized by the CCC in most of Oklahoma’s State Parks and then in vogue nationwide.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: The golf course is located in Sec. 23, T 20 N, R 13 E.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
  2. The Living New Deal
  3. http://www.cityoftulsa.org/culture–recreation/tulsa-parks/administration/tulsa-parks-history.aspx
  4. Goins, J., D. Goble and J. Anderson. 2012. The Historical Atlas of Oklahoma.
  5. https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/mohawk-park-hatchery-tulsa-ok/
  6. Marjorie Barton, _Leaning on a Legacy: The WPA in Oklahoma_, Oklahoma Heritage Association, 2008. Pg. 23.

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Tulsa County – Mohawk Golf Course

Photos: