Started: 1936 Completed:
On February 11, 1936, the PWA approved a $1,700,000 grant to seven state teachers’ colleges for construction of dormitories. At Central State Teacher College, two dorms, one to house 300 women and one to house 150 men, were planned. The Architect Guy Reid promised comfortable buildings that were more serviceable and “superior in design.”
Murdaugh Hall was the first to be built. It had two wings, a connecting terrace and a cafeteria open to all students. Accommodations in both dorms were the same. Dormitory rooms had two of everything: closets, beds, chest of drawers, desks, chairs and bookcases all made of high-grade maple as well as a lavatory and medicine cabinet.
1 Edmond Historical Society Museum – https://www.edmondhistory.org/wpa-in-edmond/
University of Central Oklahoma – http://library.uco.edu/archives/ucohistory/university-buildings/unibldg_details/?ID=24