<— Back to Research

Address:  Commerce (Vic) County Ottawa
Started 1937 Completed 1940

Current Usage

E 60 Rd. and S 530 Rd.
Commerce, OK 

Description:


This two-room, rectangular (70′ x 30′) structure is constructed of uncut, dark red native stone. The roof is hipped and gabled and the entryways are recessed with stoop and wing wall. The windows have been covered with wood and smaller energy efficient windows installed. These windows have concrete sills. Iron fences in front of the windows and doors provide a decorative touch. A pink concrete addition has been built onto the west side of the building which destroys its integrity.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided local families with wages which were infused back into the depressed local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of the school restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go 3 miles west of Commerce on county road to a point beginning 208.7 feet south of the NE corner of Sec. 9, T 28 N, R 22 E; thence south 208.7 feet, thence 208.7 feet, thence north 208.7 feet, thence east 208.7 feet to the point of origin.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination
  2. The Living New Deal

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Ottawa County – Neosho Valley School

Photos: