New Hope School – Oktaha (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Oktaha, Oklahoma 040, Muskogee County 101; SW 1/4, Sec. 21, T 13 N, R 18 E  County  Muskogee
Started:   Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:

This one-room, single-story, rectangular (24′ x 35′) school is constructed of uncut native stone of buff and auburn colors in a masonry of random rubble with beaded mortar. The roof is both gabled and hipped and encompasses a chimney. The windows are placed by threes, reach to the eaves and contain concrete sills. There are small windows on the west side of the structure. What appears to be a pre-existing wooden structure is attached to the northwest side of the school. The general deterioration of the building and the fact that is but an addition to the original school building makes it unacceptable for nomination to the National Register.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource to the largely black population. Its construction provided wages for local families which were infused back into the depressed local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of this school restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families. The school served for many years as an educational facility for black children of the community.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go four miles west and one north of Okatah to the school site in a two acre tract in the northwest corner of the SW 1/4 of Sec. 21, T 13 N, R 18 E.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Muskogee County – New Hope School

Photos: