Oklahoma State School for the Deaf Fence – Sulphur (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Sulphur, Oklahoma 040, Murray County 099 County:  Murray
Started:   Completed:  1937

Current Usage:

Description:

About four feet high, the fence on the grounds of the Oklahoma State School for the Deaf is constructed of uncut and uncoursed native sandstone. It extends throughout the grounds of the institution, and its colorful nature makes it a thing of beauty.
The fence is particularly significant because of its extent and its workmanship. Stone work characteristic of the fence was not uncommon for WPA projects, but the length of the one at the deaf school was indeed unusual. Construction, at an early day in the work of the WPA, also provided jobs for those made destitute by the depression.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Located in Sec. 36, T 1 N, R 3 E

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Murray County – Oklahoma State School for the Deaf Fence

Photos: