Osage County Garage – Fairfax

<— Back to Research

Address:  First and Mulberry Streets, Fairfax, Oklahoma 040, Osage County 113 County:  Osage
Started:   Completed:  1939

Current Usage:

Description:


Constructed of untooled and randomly laid native sandstone, the County Warehouse is rectangular (101′ x 43′) with a stepped gable roof. A one-half moon vent is in each gable. Two garage doors on either side of the building directly across from each other permit vehicles to drive completely through. Window at the ends of the structure, either full or one half size, have sills, lintels and jambs of pre-formed concrete. Door and garage lintels are of the same materials as are the caps of the stepped gable. Windows are metal casements.
Architecturally the structure is significant in the community in terms of type, style and workmanship. As a WPA building it is notable in that county warehouse facilities are relatively rare, especially ones with stepped gables and pre-formed concrete window jambs. Construction of the building also provided job opportunities for unemployed day laborers and oil field workers who had been pushed into economic destitutuion by the national depression.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Lots 7, 8, 9 and 10, Block 1, Lanman’s Addition to Fairfax original.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Osage County – Osage County Garage

Photos: