Pawhuska School Stadium – Pawhuska

<— Back to Research

Address:  Lynn and 19th Streets, Pawhuska, Oklahoma 040, Osage County 113 County:  Osage
Started:   Completed:  1937

Current Usage:

Description:


Rectangular in shape (25′ x 154′), the Pawhuska stadium consists of a superstructure of poured concrete that rises to a level of nine tiers. The exterior walls are constructed of untooled and randomly laid native sandstone. Pre-formed concrete blocks cap and decorate the parapets and the stepped pilasters adjacent to entryways beneath the stands. Red bricks are fashioned into friezes above and below small windows, while sills, lintels and jambs of the windows are also of bricks. Brick work above the main doors between the pilasters provides additional decoration. The addition of a press box has not impeached the architectural integrity of the structure.
As a WPA structure, the Pawhuska stadium is significant architecturally because of the blending of native stone with brick and the capping of pilasters with pre-formed concrete materials. Unlike other stadiums, this one alludes faintly to art deco themes. The structures also suggests the broad interpretation WPA officials gave to “useful” public structures, appreciating that recreation and athletic activity was just as “useful’ as armories and city halls. That the stadium is still in use demonstrates just how “useful” it was and the nature of its long-range contribution. Of course, construction of the structure also provided job opportunities for destitute workers who had lost their jobs and most of their self-respect as a result of the depression that plagued the land in the 1930s.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From the corner of 19th and Lynn streets, go east 540 feet as a point of beginning, then south 210 feet, east 50 feet, north 210 feet, and west 50 feet, in School Preserve, Pawhuska original plat.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Osage County – Pawhuska School Stadium

Photos: