|Address:||408 Government Street, Alva, Oklahoma 73717||Country||Woods|
The historic post office building in Alva, Oklahoma was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which was completed in 1936, is still in use today.
The Alva post office is located at 408 Government Street. It has some embellishment not usually seen on post offices. Built in 1936, it is still in use today. Additions have been added to the south and rear.
This is a one-story red brick building with a projected entrance bay which faces west. The entrance has two aluminum and glass door with transom, flanked by 2-over-2 double hung windows which have standing brick lintels and concrete sills. The brick pilasters have cast concrete caps. A concrete belt course runs around the upper wall, with geometric embellishment. A double row of concrete belt course runs two feet below the windows. On the south side, two of the window openings have decorative concrete lintels.
National Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 71.