Reynolds School – Kiowa (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Kiowa, Oklahoma 040, Atoka County 005; Sec. 11, T 2 N, R 13 E County:  Atoka
Started:   Completed:  1940

Current Usage:

Description:

A two-room building, the Reynolds school is a single story, rectangular (67′ x 28′) structure constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone. Mortar is beaded; the roof is hipped with a cross gable over the frontal and recessed two-door entryway. With preĀ­formed concrete sills, classroom window openings reach to the eaves. The walls are in excellent condition, although the roof is in need of repair.
The school building is significant because construction of it provided work opportunities in a rural, remote and impoverished area which had been absent for at least a decade. The structure also enhanced the quality of education in that it replaced a wood frame building in a state of virtual decay and located elsewhere in the region. Interestingly, the new site was never deeded to the school district. Architecturally the building is unique in the community because of its type, style, scale, materials and workmanship.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From the southern city limits of Kiowa, Oklahoma, follow U.S. highway No. 69 south to the Atoka County line, turning left on to what was “old” highway 69. From the turnoff, go south one mile to county road; turn east across the railroad tracks and at Y follow the south branch for approximately two miles, at which point the road turns north. From the turn in the road proceed east some three-quarters of a mile to where the road turns back north. On the east side of the road, the property begins at a point 1320 feet south of the NW corner of the NW 1/4, of the NE 1/4 of Sec. 11, T 2 N, R 13 E, and runs 414 feet east, 207 feet south, 414 feet west, and 207 feet north.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properites Atoka County – Reynolds School

Photos: