|Address:||Vicinity of Hanna, Oklahoma 040, McIntosh County 091; SW 1/4, Sec. 29, T 9 N, R 13 E.||County||McIntosh|
A one room building, Rock Hill School is a single-story, rectangular (24′ x 30′) structure constructed of cut, crudely coursed, and rusticated native stone of buff color. The roof is gabled and there are five small windows on the back side and one small window in the front. The door has a small extended roof attached. The window panes are gone and the windows are now partially filled with wooden inserts. These alterations do not impeach the integrity of the building.
SIGNIFICANCE: 1935; builder/architect: Oklahoma State Dept. of Instruction
Construction of this school provided a new environment conducive to learning for black children theretofore deprived educationally in this rural and remote area. It also gave black unskilled and unemployed laborers on relief useful work and some economic security at a time when such opportunities were very low. The project also enabled the WPA to infuse wages of some 18,000 man-hours of labor into the local economy.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go west of Hanna on county road 2 miles then north 1 mile, then west 1.5 miles to school site in a 1 acre tract in the SE, SW 1/4, of Sec. 29, T 9 N, R 13 E.
Notes from database;
Description of Significance: THE SCHOOL IS ONE OF THE OLDEST REMAINING ALL-BLACK SCHOOLS LOCATED IN A RURAL AREA
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination – http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=20189&pbc=P