|Address:||Vicinity of Sallisaw, Oklahoma||County:||Sequoyah|
This two-room building is rectangular (25′ x 34′) and constructed of roughly cut native stone. The roof is gabled with dentils. The front entry has a “V” shaped hood; the rear entry has a flat hood. Sash windows reach to the roofline and are grouped in bands with concrete sills. A concrete block addition on the north impairs the integrity of the building.
SIGNIFICANCE: 1939; builder/architect: Okla. St. Dept. of Ed. Pattern Book
The construction of the Rocky Point school provided an economic stimulas to the community by providing work for depression stricken farmers whose wages were infused back into the local economy thus easing the burdens of a limited money supply. Its construction fostered a sense of community pride and achievement when those two qualities were not widely in evidence.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go 11 miles northeast of Sallisaw on U.S. 59 to a point 1040 feet west and 832 feet south from the northeast corner of the NW 1/4, then west 208 feet, south 208 feet, east 208 feet, and north 208 feet.