Speer School – Hugo (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Hugo, Oklahoma 040, Choctaw County 023; Sec. 17, T 5 S, R 17 E County:  Choctaw
Started:   Completed:  1936

Current Usage:

Description:

A two-room building, the old Speer school is a single story, rectangular (60′ x 30′) structure constructed of undressed and uncoursed native sandstone. The roof is hipped with a gable over the frontal, centrally placed and recessed two-door entryway. Classroom window openings on the rear reach to the eaves; wooden sash windows on the front are placed by twos. Window sills are concrete.
The school building is significant architecturally within the Speer community because of its type, style, scale, materials and workmanship. Moreover, construction of it provided work opportunities for unskilled and unemployed laborers in a rural and remote area plagued with chronic poverty. The facility also produced an enthusiasm for learning and helped revitalize community spirit, becoming a symbol of government concern for both education and economic well being.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Follow U.S. highway No. 271 north from U.S. highway No. 70 five miles and turn east on a county road; go east some four and one-half miles, the school being situated on the north side of the road. The property begins at a point in the SE corner of the SE 1/4, of the SE 1/4, of the SW 1/4 of Sec. 17, T 5 S, R 17 E, then runs 98 yards north, 98 yards west, 98 yards south, and 98 yards east.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Choctaw County – Speer School

Photos: