<— Back to Research

Address: Between 4th and 5th Streets,  Boulevard and Littler Streets, Edmond, Oklahoma County Oklahoma
Started 1934 Completed 1936

Current Usage:

Description:


Formerly known as “South Park”, Stephenson Park has three WPA Projects located on in the park. Edmond Armory, American Legion Hut, and the Stone walls and bridges. Boasting tennis and croquet couts, a elaborate rock garden in the ravie and the planting of trees and shrubs, for the 1930s this was a pleasure place for all city citizens. The Civil Works Administration (CWA), a WPA branch supplied the funds for public projects such as building streets, bridges and schoolhouse as well as cleaning parks. For Stephenson Park they planting flowers, trees, shrubs, and building a large central rock garden. Named in honor of Fred M. Stephenson a city employee.[1]

The park has a rolling landscape, with a small creek run-off which has two WPA-constructed pedestrian bridges. They are both arched across the waterway, with concrete platform and stone walls. At the northwest corner of the park, a stone wall has concrete plaques reading: “1934 / Stephenson Park.” Beneath that are three smaller stones which list the names of the City Manager, Clerk, Treasurer, Attorney and Health Supt., and well as the Mayor and Councilmen at the time of construction.[2]

Sources:

  1. WPA In  Edmond, Edmond Historical Society Museum
  2. The Living New Deal
  3. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

Photos: