Taylor School – Watts (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Watts, Oklahoma 040, Adair County 001; NW 1/4, Sec. 5, T 18 N, R 25 E  County  Adair
Started:   Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:

The old Taylor school is a single story, rectangular shaped (76′ x 30′) building constructed of randomly laid, uncut native sandstone with beaded mortar. It has a stepped gable roof with projecting eaves. The front entry is arched with cut stone keystone and a single wooden door. Two pairs of double-hung wood sash windows with concrete sills and lintels are located on the front facade while two bands of double-hung wood sash windows that reach to the eaves and have concrete sills are located on the rear of the structure.
This school is significant because the wages earned during its construction were infused back into the local community and helped fuel local business during the depression. It provided jobs for farmers suffering from drought and the depression. As an educational facility the structure provided modern facilities and an environment conducive to learning. The pride in community engendered by the construction of this facility is evident in the high level of care exhibited in the masonry.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go south from Watts 3.2 miles on U.S. highway 59, then west 4.9 miles, then north .8 of a mile to a 208 foot square tract of land in the northeast corner of the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Sec. 5, T 18 N, R 25 E.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Adair County – Taylor School

Photos: