Tecumseh Water Plant/Chemical House – Tecumseh

<— Back to Research

Address:  Broadway and Cherry Streets, Tecumseh, Oklahoma 040, Pottawatomie County 125  County: Seminole
Started:   Completed:  1941

Current Usage:

Description:

The Tecumseh Water Plant/Chemical House is a single-story, rectangular (40′ x 27′) structure with a basement. It is constructed of brick and has metal casement windows with concrete sills and continuous concrete lintels. A high concrete watertable rises to a point level with the ceiling in the basement. The flat roof has stepped parapets with a concrete cap. The double main entryway door is located high above ground and is reached by poured concrete stairs.
The water treatment chemical house at Tecumseh is notable architecturally within the community for its type, style, and workmanship. The plant was constructed by unskilled laborers taken from the ranks of the unemployed. Their labors not only allowed them to feed their families, but also kept them off the dole and contributing something to the community. Tecumseh, being in need of new water treatment facilities, was also short on funds to construct one. But with the help of the WPA, local and federal governments worked together on a project of continuing value to the community The facility is symbolic of the wide variety of construction programs undertaken by the WPA.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Lots 13 through 18 in Block 10 of Outcelts Addition to Tecumseh original

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Seminole County – Tecumseh Water Plant/Chemical House

Photos: