Ward School – Watts (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Watts, Oklahoma 040, Adair County 001; SE 1/4, Sec. 33, T 19 N, R 25 E  County  Adair
Started:   Completed  1939

Current Usage

Description:

This three-room, T -shaped building measures 124′ x 30′ and is constructed of uncut and randomly laid multicolored native stone. The roof is gabled and stepped with projecting eaves. It has an arched front entryway with cut stone keystone and a single wooden door. The windows are singly placed with concrete sills and lintels. Unfortunately an addition has been added which destroys the architectural integrity of the structure and disqualifies it for inclusion on the National Register.
The construction of the Ward school provided an economic stimulus to the community by providing work for depression stricken farmers whose wages were infused back into the local economy thus easing the burdens of a limited money supply. Its construction fostered a sense of community pride and achievement when those two qualities were not widely in evidence.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go south from Watts 2.3 miles on U.S. highway 59, then west 3.2 miles on upaved county road, then north .2 of a mile to a point of beginning at the SE corner of the NE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of Sec. 33, T 19 N, R 25 E, thence west 315 feet, thence north 315 feet, thence east 315 feet, thence south 315 feet.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Adair County – Ward School

Photos: