|Address:||206 2nd Street, Alex, Oklahoma||County:||Grady|
“The Alex Public School (pronounced Elic), is a red brick one-story T-shaped building, with its main entrance in the north intersection of the T. This entrance has new aluminum and glass double doors with two concrete steps. The doors are slightly recessed under a triangular pediment, and flanked by two round columns.
“Many of the windows have been filled in with concrete block or covered with wood. This main building has numerous outbuildings in this school complex and contains all grades in this small town of approximately 550 residents. The school complex is located at F Street and 2nd Street.
New aluminum and glass doors have been added, and windows on the south side have been bricked in. A brick extension has been added to the north connecting it to the school.
Dr. Roy Peters, for whom the building was dedicated in 1998, was Superintendent from 1947 – 1961.
Three separate buildings were built on the property , the School, Gym/Auditorium, and a Bus Garage.
A single story red brick building in the rectangular shape. WPA Appropriations: unknown
A single story red brick building which is still used as a auditorium, but a newer gym was construction next to the building. WPA Appropriations: $20,000. Dr. Roy Peters, for whom the building was dedicated in 1998, was Superintendent from 1947 – 1961.
“The Alex school complex at 2nd and F Streets is the site of the Roy Peters Auditorium. This brick building was constructed [by the WPA] in 1937
A native stone building used for school storage now. WPA Appropriations: $7,526.
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Database – School
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Database – Gym/Auditorium
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Database – Bus Garage