Archer School – Pryor (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Pryor, Oklahoma 040, Mayes County 097; NW 1/4, Sec. 35, T 21 N, R 19 E  County  Mayes
Started:  1936 Completed  1940

Current Usage

Description:

The Archer School is a single story, two-room, rectangular (30′ x 46′) building constructed of uncut and rusticated native stone of auburn and buff colors in a masonry of random rubble. The strategic placement of the stones add a decorative element to this building. The roof is gabled and contains a chimney. The entryway is recessed behind an arch made of brick. The sash windows are singly placed and have concrete sills. The entryway has wood inserts, but this does not impeach the integrity of the building.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided local families with wages which were infused back into the depressed local economy, helping individuals as well as the community. Jobs generated by the construction of the school restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families. Architecturally, the building is an excellent example of vernacular style that is a major symbol of social significance.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From Pryor go three miles west on State highway 20 and 3.25 miles south to the southwest corner of the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Sec. 35, T 21 N, R 19 E, thence north 13 rods; east 12 rods; south 13 rods; west 12 rods to the point of beginning.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination – http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=66660&pbc=P

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Mayes County – Archer School

Photos: