Beaver School – West Siloam Springs (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vic. West Siloam Springs, Oklahoma 040, Delaware County 041; SE 1/4, Sec. 25, T 20 N, R 25 E  County  Delaware
Started:   Completed  1936

Current Usage

Description:

The Beaver School is a classic one room school building constructed of rusticated and coursed native stone. The roof is gabled, while the window openings, filled with wood sash windows, reach to the eaves and contain pre-formed concrete sills. The single entry front door is recessed behind an archway and covered by a small gable awning supported by wood brackets. A similar cover is over the rear entry, which is not recessed.
Beaver School is representative of the commitment of the WPA to the improvement of education in rural and isolated regions, even when the number of students were relatively few. The facility spawned a revival of educational enthusiasm and generated pride in the local community. Its construction also provided jobs in the early days of the depression for destitute agriculturalists, enabling them to support their own family and to give a boost to the local economy. Beaver school is also a remarkable example of WPA vernacular architecture.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Just one mile west of Siloam Springs, Arkansas, the school property begins at a point 208 feet north of the southwest corner of the SW 1/4 of Sec. 30, T 20 N, R 26 E and goes east 208 feet, north 208 feet, west 208 feet and south 208 feet.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination – http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=66883&pbc=P

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Delaware County – Beaver School

Photos: