|Address:||205 N Grand St, Crescent, OK 73028||County||Logan|
A red sandstone building constructed in 1939 during the heyday of the Work Projects Administration.
The new Crescent City Hall opened in October of 1939. It was the second WPA structure built in Crescent, after the completion of the Crescent school bus garage. The City Hall housed city offices, a jail, and the fire department. It took 40 men nine months to complete the building. The first floor housed the city clerk’s office, restrooms, records closet, jail cells, the water and electric offices, and fire equipment. The second floor featured an auditorium. It was intended for the Justice of the Peace to try city cases and for various city and community meetings.
A sizing machine was used to help speed up the building project. This machine was used to face and size stones faster and more accurately than humans could do. The jail cells were purchased and re-purposed from Oklahoma City and the back exit stairs were purchased used. After the WPA funding allocation of $20,900($29,116), Crescent only spent $4,000 on the project, none of which was from a sales bond or tax increase.
Looking at photos and google maps, this building has been either torn down and rebuilt with new construction or remodel.