Elementary School – Buffalo

<— Back to Research

Address:  Second and McMinn Streets, Buffalo, Oklahoma 01./-0, Harper County 059 County  Harper
Started:  1939 Completed 1939

Current Usage:

Abandoned

Description:


The Buffalo Elementary School is a rectangular structure (150′ x ca. 35′) constructed of poured concrete now painted light brown. The roof is gabled, while the recessed front entryway is impressively framed by pilasters and a curved cornice, also of poured concrete. Suggesting a bell tower and mission revival architectural style, in the center of the cornice is a large circular openig with the name of the school inscribed above and below. Incising in the entry facade provides decorative effect. Metal encased windows, arranged by twos, rest on concrete slip sills. Unfortunately, to either end have been added major additions of classrooms, all of which impeaches the integrity of the structure.
In drought stricken Harper county, construction of Buffalo Elementary School provided work opportunities for destitute farmers. Income received permitted the proud northwesterners to feed their families and retain their pride. The building is particularly significant for its hint of mission revival architectural style and the modernization of the educational curriculum it brought to the Buffalo Schools. The latter was especially apparent in the separation of the elementary school from the high school.[1]

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Harper County – Buffalo Elementary

Photos:

https://goo.gl/maps/s5WESZsvVPF2