|Address:||Unmarked Streets, Kenwood, Oklahoma 040, Delaware County 041; SW 1/4, Sec. 8, T 21 N, R 22 E||County||Delaware|
The Kenwood school is a rectangular shaped (60′ x 46′) structure constructed of rusticated and coursed native stone now is painted white. The roof is gabled with an asymetrical center gable that contains the front entryway which is slightly recessed and arched with cut stone keystone. The metal sash windows have continous concrete sills. Wood insets cover the upper portions of some of the windows. A semi-circular ventilator with louver board rests in the center gable. Unfortunately additions to the sides of this structure destroy its integrity and prevent its inclusion to the National Register.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided wages from some 21,000 man-hours of labor for local families which were infused back into the depressed local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of the school restored a sense of pride to many men who might otherwise have been unable to provide for their families. The school has served for many years as an educational facility for children of the community which is predominately now Cherokee Indian. Architecturally the building is notable for vernacular characteristics.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Block 13, Lots 10,11, and 12, Kenwood Plat Map of 1923
- Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination – http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=66879&pbc=P