Norris School – Red Oak (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Red Oak, Oklahoma 040, Latimer County 077; Sec. 14, T 6 N, R 22 E County:  Latimer
Started:   Completed:  1940

Current Usage:

Description:

A two-room building originally, the Norris school is a single story, rectangular (68′ x 28′) structure constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone. The roof, covered with composition shingles, is hipped with a centrally placed gable that serves as porch for a two¬≠door recessed entryway. The original entryway has been enclosed and a smaller porch added; windows on the west front have been enclosed with wood inserts. To the rear of the building has been attached a concrete block room. These alterations notwithstanding, the essential integrity of the building remains intact.
Within the community, the school building is significant architecturally because of its type, allusion to Richardsonian style, scale, materials and workmanship. Moreover, construction of it provided work opportunities for unskilled and unemployed laborers made destitute by the depression and demoralized by reduction to beggary. Notable too is that the building created a new environment conducive to learning for students, replacing a dilapated wood structure.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From Red Oak follow U.S. highway No. 270 east some five and one-half miles to an unpaved county road; go north three and one-half miles to site of the school on the east side of the road. The nominated property is a 209 square foot tract in the NW corner of Sec. 14, T 6 N, R 22 E.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Latimer County – Norris School

Photos: