<— Back to Research

Address:  Osage and Walnut Streets, Nowata, Oklahoma 040, Nowata County 105 County:  Nowata
Started:   Completed:  1937

Current Usage:

Description:


This single-story bus garage is a rectangular (53′ x 38′) structure of cut, coarsed, and rusticated native stone of buff and light buff colors. The strategic placement of the stone raises the quality of masonry in this structure. The roof is flat with parapets. There are four garage openings. New garage doors have been added. The windows have some red brick lentils and some concrete lentils. The alterations do not impeach the integrity of the building.
As a WPA structure, this bus garage is exceptional for its quality of workmanship. It also demonstrates the agency’s commitment to projects relevant to local areas, in this instance, a structure to house vehicles that serviced a far-flung and rural educational district. Construction of this garage provided badly needed job opportunities for unemployed and unskilled laborers and also infused wages of some 20,000 man-hours of labor into the local economy.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Nowata County – Nowata Bus Garage

Photos: