Schulter School Campus – Schulter

<— Back to Research

Address:  Schulter, Oklahoma 040, Okmulgee County 111 County:  Okmulgee
Started:   Completed:  1937

Current Usage:

Description:


The Schulter School campus features four WPA buildings: one classroom building, one privy, a Home Economics Cottage, and a gymnasium/auditorium. The gymnasium/auditorium is a single-story, rectangular (89′ x 56′) building constructed of coursed and rusticated native stone of buff color. The roof is arched and has parapets. A rain shelter has been added to the doorway. Some windows have been filled with concrete cinder blocks and others with green plastic. These alterations do not impeach the integrity of the structure.
The Home Economics Cottage has one or two rooms and is a single-story, rectangular (33′ x 49′) structure constructed of coursed and rusticated native stone of buff color. The roof is gabled. The entrance is recessed behind a cross gable supported by poles and contains pediments. The sash windows in front are arranged in groups of three and reach to the eaves, smaller windows on all other sides have concrete lentils and sills. Many of these windows have been made smaller by inserting wood or completely filled in with wood.
The classroom building is a single-story, T-shaped (92′ x 100′) building constructed of coursed and rusticated native stone of buff color. Red brick was used to make designs on the front. The roof is flat with parapets. Two of the front windows were arched. The recessed entryway is framed by pilasters that give the school an art deco flavor. The window openings have white painted wood inserted, and smaller windows have been installed.
The privy is a rectangular (23′ x 20′) building constructed of coursed and rusticated native stone of buff color. The roof is gabled with an attached entryway that has a gabled porch. This entryway has an arched window, and the door is recessed behind an archway. The windows have concrete sills. Four windows have been filled in–three with wood, and one arched window with cinder blocks. Alterations do not impeach the integrity of the structure.
SIGNIFICANCE: 1937 and unknown; builder/architect: unknown
These buildings are significant because construction of them provided many jobs for unskilled and unemployed workers in and around the town of Schulter. These projects enabled the infusion of wages of some 40,000 man-hours of labor into the local community. Educational opportunities were greatly enhanced in this small community through this WPA project. Architecturally, these buildings are unique in terms of type, style, scale, materials, and workmanship. This major project of four structures is significant to the town of Schulter in that these buildings provide the basis for educational opportunities throughout the area. In addition, the WPA eight-hole privy was the largest in Oklahoma. 

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Block 4, Burgess Addition to Schulter original.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Okmulgee County – Schulter School Campus

Photos: