Sequoyah School – Muskogee (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Muskogee, Oklahoma 040, Muskogee County 101; SW 1/4, Sec. 1, T 13 N, R 18 E  County  Muskogee
Started:   Completed  1940

Current Usage

Description:

This one-room, rectangular (31′ x 56′) building is constructed of uncut native stone of auburn and buff colors. The mansonry is random rubble. The roof is gabled, contains a chimney on the south side, and has a cross gable on the north end that extends as a porch to cover the main entryway. The porch is enclosed with the exception of an archway. The side door is also recessed behind an arch. The sashed windows reach to the eaves and have concrete sills. A concrete addition has been added to the north side of the building; it unfortunately impeahes the integrity of the structure.
This school is significant because it constituted an economically important community resource. Its construction provided local families with wages which were infused back into the depressed local economy. Jobs generated by the construction of the school restored a sense of pride to many men in that they were able finally for their families. Architecturally, the school is an exceptional of WPA vernacular styles and construction provided long-lasting educational opportunities for children in this rural area.[1]

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go nine miles south and one-half east of Muskogee on U.S 64, the property being the southwest one acre in the SW 1/4 of Sec. 1, T 13 N, R 18 E.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Muskogee County – Sequoyah School

Photos: