Starr School – Stilwell (Vic)

<— Back to Research

Address:  Vicinity of Stilwell, Oklahoma 040, Adair County 001; SE 1/4, Sec. 8, T 15 N, R 26 E  County  Adair
Started:   Completed  1938

Current Usage

Description:

This single story, rectangular shaped (35′ x 43′) building is constructed from uncut and uncoursed native stone with beaded mortar. The new gable roof has a roof overhang and wood siding under the gable. The original doorway and windows in the front have been filled with stone. Elsewhere the singly placed windows have been modified and replaced with new metal sash windows. There is a porch on the front of the building. Alteration of the doorways and windows combined with stone and concrete additions to the rest of the structure destroy the integrity of the building.
The construction of the Starr school provided an economic stimulus to the community by providing 6898 manhours of work for depression stricken farmers. These wages were infused back into the local economy thus easing the burdens of a limited money supply. Its construction fostered a sense of community pride and achievement when those qualities were not widely in evidence. The masonry exhibited on this building is exceptional and of a quality rarely found in modern structure of like kind.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Go 2 miles west of Stilwell on State highway 100, then south 1.7 miles, then west 1/10 of a mile to a tract of land that begins at a point 728 feet east and 208 feet north of the southwest corner of the SE 1/4, Sec. 8, T 15 N, R 26 E, and goes 208 feet north, 208 feet east, 208 feet south, and 208 feet west.

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Adair County – Starr School

Photos: