Watts High School Addition – Watts

<— Back to Research

Address:  Unmarked streets, Watts, Okla. 040, Adair County 001  County  Adair
Started:   Completed 1939

Current Usage

Description:


This rectangular shaped (31′ x 52′) addition to the west end of the pre-existing structure is constructed from brick and consists of two stories. The roof is flat with concrete capping on the parapets. The main entryway is accessed by stairs enclosed with sidewalls having concrete capping. The double glass doors are framed by pilasters and a triangular cornice. An additional entry is located on the sublevel and is protected by a rock retaining wall. The sash windows are grouped into triples with concrete sills. A raised brick beltcourse surrounds the building near the level of the roofline. The fact that this work constitutes only an addition to a pre-existing structure disqualifies it for inclusion to the National Register.
The construction of this addition to the Watts High school provided an economic stimulas to the community by providing work for depression stricken farmers whose wages were infused back into the local economy thus easing -the burdens of a limited money supply. Its construction fostered a sense of community pride and achievement when those two qualities were not widely in evidence. The building is also significant for its fine quality workmanship exhibited in its brickwork.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: All of block 18 in Watts original

Sources:

  1. Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Adair County – Watts High School Addition

Photos: