Address: 1/2 mile west of Hwy 77 and Antioch Road, Antioch, OklahomaCounty: Garvin
Started: Completed: 1939
Agencies:WPANRHP:December 6, 2004

Current Usage:

Private Property


A single story, two classroom building, the Antioch School is rectangular (69′ x 27′) and is constructed of red brick laid with a running bond. The stepped roof is gabled, with a cross gable extending over the front entryway. The front and end gables are filled with wood, clapboard siding. With brick sills, window openings reach to the eaves and contain original wood sash windows. On the front a brick addition for bathrooms has been attached. This addition is such that it pretty much impeaches the architectural integrity of the structure.
The brick materials of the Antioch School are somewhat unique for a WPA-constructed rural school. It is significant too that there is no legal record of the property upon which the building is located as ever having been deeded to the school district.

VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: From Elmore City go seven miles north on state highway No. 74 to the Antioch community and turn west one-half mile to the site of the school building, it being located on 2 acres in the SE corner of the SE 1/4, SW 1/4, SE 1/4 in Sec. 16, T 3 N, R 2 W [WPA Properties Garvin County]

Antioch School was a white only school in Garvin County. Antioch was located seven miles south of Maysville. The school served a tiny community of four hundred people. The school taught grades five through eight. The two room colonial revival schoolhouse was built in 1929. One teacher had to meet the educational needs of forty students per year. From 1937-1939, the Works Progress Administration refurbished the school building. The WPA used brick materials that were rarely used to build rural schools. In 1962, financial problems forced the school to close. Since 1962, the town of Antioch has been incorporated into Elmore City. Even though Antioch no longer exists, some of the buildings remain. The Antioch Builders Club preserved the schoolhouse. The building is one of the last remaining two room schoolhouses in Oklahoma. Antioch School is now a community center. The schoolhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[1]


  1. Oklahoma Historical Society. Research Archives
    2009.180. Antioch Community Collection. 1911-1956, OHS, accessed 7/21/2022.

Supported Documents:

  1. WPA Properties Garvin County – Antioch School
  2. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form