|Church and Oak Streets, Stratford, Oklahoma
A multiple classroom and gymnasium facility, the Stratford School is T-shaped (325′ x 52′, with an 84′ x 70′ gym extension) and is constructed with buff brick laid with running bond. The walls are capped with cut limestone blocks. Except over the gym where it is arched, the roof is flat with parapets. Above the main entry and at two other locations along the roof line have been placed scrolled cornices. These and arches at the entryway give the structure a mission revival flavor architecturally. Although the original metal casement windows, resting on cut limestone sills, remain in the gymnasium, elsewhere they have been replaced with more energy efficient aluminum sash windows and openings reduced with wood inserts. The latter alterations, along with an addition to the building of similar materials and style, have not impeached the architectural integrity of the structure, however.
SIGNIFICANCE: 1939; architect/builder: Albert S. Ross
Relative to other WPA school structures, the Stratford school is particularly significant because of its allusion to mission revival architectural style. For an agricultural community, its size is also significant, as are its type, buff brick materials and workmanship. The structure is also important because it provided an entire physical plant for Stratford’s total educational program–elementary, secondary and recreational. Then and for 40 years thereafter, no educational activity in Stratford took place outside the environs provided by the WPA. Such a large construction project, of course, enabled destitute agricultural workers to find employment and a measure of job security when nothing of the kind could be found elsewhere.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Block 2, Mooney Addition to Stratford original.