|2 miles south of Hwy 51 on Council Road
Well know as the wildest boom town of Oklahoma, Roxana started because a farmer, Charles Eli McCully leased his land for oil exploration and became a instant millionaire. By 1927, the Roxana Company announced it had reached oil bearing sand on its McCully No.1 well at approximately 5,700 feet. Almost overnight the town of Roxana began to built buildings to accommodate the influx of oil, business as well as unsavory workers. Roxana was platted on July 17, 1927 on the George L. Ross farm with a population of 400. A small frame school for eight grades was built at the main intersection of town, but later burned down as well as a second school built. Since both of the wooden school houses had burn the citizens believed a brick structure was needed for a new school in 1940. Using WPA funds a rusticated and coursed stone building was built.
School was demolished in early 1991. Photos are from Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory.