|Address:||Vicinity of Elmore City, Oklahoma||County:||Garvin|
A single story, originally a four class building, the old Satterwhite school is rectangular (75′ x 45′) and constructed of rusticated and coursed native sandstone. The roof is hipped, with a small intersecting gable that extends above the front entry. Doors on the front and sides are recessed behind archways. Window openings, with cut stone sills, rise to the eaves and are presently filled with wood inserts and smaller aluminum, sash windows. The inserts and a small wood frame structure at the south end have not impaired the architectural integrity of the building.
SIGNIFICANCE: 1938-1939; architect/builder: Okla. State Dept. of Education pattern book
Within the rural community of Satterwhite, the school building is architecturally significant in terms of type, style, materials and nature of workmanship. Equally important is that the structure introduced modern education into the region, facilitating the educational process. Also significant is that construction of the building provided job opportunities for destitute workers long on the relief rolls of the state, enabling them to secure a measure of economic security for themselves and their families.
VERBAL BOUNDARY DESCRIPTION: Situated one-half mile west and four miles south of Elmore City on State Highway No. 74, the old school property begins at the NW corner of Sec. 15, T 1 N, R 2 W, and goes south 264 feet, east 330 feet, north 264 feet and west 330 feet.